Jump to content
TheDong

What's happened

Recommended Posts

10 years later I have revisited the first club I joined. Where is all the chat and banter?? 

This club needs serious revival. 

STUM450N and his true grip, Kim and her cronies, where has it all gone? 

All I can now see is The Don...... still posting pish microfiches up that don't help anyone. 

Hardly any posts in years. 

This forum used to be booming and brilliant. 

Get it back on track or it will be gone soon enough...............

Share this post


Link to post

Welcome back to the forum. The forum has lost many of the members you mentioned for a number of reasons including them not owning Scooby's anymore and have moved on. Forums and Websites have been hit over the past 5 years with the rise of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as a means of sharing information and chit chat. I agree the traffic is nowhere near what it was many years ago but it is still used by our members and there are sections you can not see unless you are a member.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, mctwistuk said:

Hello from a long list member from the past.

i still have a scoob 

Ah mctwit fancy seing you here 

Share this post


Link to post

Well Im a reasonably new member and have had some decent help (and some banter!) on here ... I didnt see it in the 'old days'.  My only comment would be it could be a bit more user friendly, social media sites seem to 'flow' a bit better ... just a thought.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 06/03/2017 at 18:50, db scoob said:

Well Im a reasonably new member and have had some decent help (and some banter!) on here ... I didnt see it in the 'old days'.  My only comment would be it could be a bit more user friendly, social media sites seem to 'flow' a bit better ... just a thought.  

In what way does social media 'flow' better ? 

And in what way is forum not user friendly ? 

Share this post


Link to post

Personally I like the forum. Things are structured and the search is great when you are looking for things. I appreciate the draw to social media, we do after all have a presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram :D, but the heart of the club is still the forums especially for members who have unrestricted access to all the forums.

I have spoken to many people about this and many say they don't sit at a computer as much as they used to and find many social media apps work great on mobile devices. I find the forum just as accessible on my phone as it is on the computer and the IP Board have done a great job of making the forum mobile compatible.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, scoobiefloz said:

Personally I like the forum. Things are structured and the search is great when you are looking for things. I appreciate the draw to social media, we do after all have a presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram :D, but the heart of the club is still the forums especially for members who have unrestricted access to all the forums.

I have spoken to many people about this and many say they don't sit at a computer as much as they used to and find many social media apps work great on mobile devices. I find the forum just as accessible on my phone as it is on the computer and the IP Board have done a great job of making the forum mobile compatible.

 

 

Totally agree. The mobile version works great although I think I'm running a different version to your on m-soc

one of the major problems is people tend to use FB as the Internet these days. 

I prefer a forum, the search facility is far superior. Try finding a post on Facebook from a month a go, let alone a few years. The click bait on social media is getting worse, the irrelevant nonsense and spam is increasing almost daily, news feed full of dribble etc etc 

The way topics can be organised is far superior to FB etc. Relevant matter sorted into the correct area, easy to find etc 

Social media is certainly not the way to run a club :thumb: 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, I only use the Forum on my laptop and I just find it hard to find threads sometimes in comparison to the likes of Twitter where everyone can see a 'post' then groups can be created to discuss things in further detail, just my thoughts for what its worth ... I know I can rely on Scoobiefloz on here so I dont feel totally forgotten haha :) I know my cars but maybe computer tech is not my speciality! 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I will make sure the all new topics I put in the forum are shared with Facebook and Twitter so you will get notifications. You are then simply one click away from the content what ever device you are using. For some reason this feature was disabled :huh: 

Twitter: @subaru_drivers

Facebook: @thesidc

Share this post


Link to post

Me and computers dont seem to get on :rotfl:so mobile version is spot on and as for facebook and the like what if yr not on facebook or other social media sites after all i dont wanna know what people are having for their dinner as you see on facebook so the forums are invaluable to members who have questions or need advise on scoobs so in my opnion this works for me :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post

I've popped back in too :D:D

 

wheres everyone gone !!

 

its been a while I suppose,we use to have a right laugh.

 

On a plus note still got the scooby.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Must admit, having history so many years ago to SIDC's Richard Grimes ( anyone remember him?), forums are certainly much depleted. Such a shame, but being of of certain age, I'm not into facebook, Twitter and all that. I fear that unless membership recovers and more interest, our club will disappear.

Share this post


Link to post
On 21/12/2016 at 00:59, TheDong said:

10 years later I have revisited the first club I joined. Where is all the chat and banter?? 

This club needs serious revival. 

STUM450N and his true grip, Kim and her cronies, where has it all gone? 

All I can now see is The Don...... still posting pish microfiches up that don't help anyone. 

Hardly any posts in years. 

This forum used to be booming and brilliant. 

Get it back on track or it will be gone soon enough...............

I believe that a pop at Don is rather unjustified. From a personal point of view, his knowledge, experience and and advice has been most helpful over so many years...

Share this post


Link to post

It does make me chuckle, yes it is quiet compared to the ‘old days’ but I have lost count how many people who say they haven’t logged on for ages and then wonder where everyone is. 

I know I am relatively new to the club and wasn’t around when everyone seemed to have a fallout but everyone is still welcome, everyone’s opinion is welcome, we don’t all have to agree with what everyone says, that’s the whole point of the forum. 

I hope people will continue to find the forum useful and long may it stay running. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, johnmacdonald said:

Must admit, having history so many years ago to SIDC's Richard Grimes ( anyone remember him?), forums are certainly much depleted. Such a shame, but being of of certain age, I'm not into facebook, Twitter and all that. I fear that unless membership recovers and more interest, our club will disappear.

Yes I remember Richard, - attended one of his driving courses at Essex Police driving school Chelmsford back in 1998 or there abouts.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, what a small world - my wife and I were there too in the RB5! If it was the same day, do you recall my wife attempting the skidpan in the ex Sierra patrol car with the welded up diff - hilarious! Kept in touch with Richard for many years who serviced and did many mods on our various Imprezas - especially upgraded brakes. His standard of workmanship was superb, but as you probably know, he was also a qualified motor engineer. Sadly lost touch since the sad loss of his wife.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Looked at my certificate and it's dated 31st October 1998...........

Skid pan was interesting as Chris Coulson tried his wagon on it as well and couldn't get it to break away even with the tyres pumped up....................

PIC00001.jpg

PIC00002.jpg

PIC00007.jpg

PIC00008.jpg

PIC00015.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Not the same day then, as I recall the RB5 was not introduced until 1999.  Most embarrassing part of our day was when Richard came out to the car park to see our heavily Prodrive breathed on RB5 (385bhp) and within a short space of time pointed out that both front P-Zeros were almost devoid of inside tread. I guess that Prodrive had adjusted to excess negative camber - tyres had only done 8,000.  Being told by and Essex traffic cop in the car park of Essex Police HQ was not good.  However, didn't get nicked and he managed to sell us a full set of EBC grooved and cross drilled disks and pads!!

P1100868.JPG

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...