Sign in to follow this  
abre

Knock Detection On Cylinders 1, 3 & 4

Took the car into my dealer today, I suspected a noisy accelerator pot and just wanted them look at it pre first service, the senior technician took the car, said he wanted to download the log data and 30 minutes later I was told they didn't want me to drive the car away... apparently there are knock logs against cylinders 1, 3 and 4 and they suspect early ringland failure and are initially talking short block replacement subject to inspection.

Not quite what I was expecting out of a bog standard Type UK having only done 8000 miles! Engine was run in gently and it has never been thrashed.

Mentioned it had used half a litre of oil in 8000 miles and that raised an eyebrow along with the mention of random power drops at 4.5k ish under acceleration.

Just have to wait now for the inspection and confirmation of the diagnosis and there was me thinking I'd treat myself to the 320 upgrade... perhaps not now.

Edited by abre

That doesn't sound promising at all... Surely though its covered by warranty?!

The car is well within warranty, not even had its first service yet, its only 10 months old and 100% standard. The dealer is very clear about their plan of action, so I will just have to wait for confirmation of their initial diagnosis. Part of me hopes that they've got it wrong but I somehow doubt it.

That's gotta be as good as dead-on-arrival! I'm sure the dealer will look after you, but keep us posted.

I got 2 knock codes this morning after sticking v power in, £15 quid worth as was low and usually stick to tesco,car was hesitant and wouldnt boost, plugged it in and cleared it drove it to tesco codes back again, brimmed it with tesco 99 then ran it along the motorway about 20 miles car started to act normal on way home, no codes came back up been giving it a good beating tonight and no problems. Hipe it was just dirt fuel on my hawk.

So got a call today, the dealer has re-checked all the logs, done compression testing and "could find nothing wrong" :freak3: they test drove it twice but on the second outing detected a hesitance at 4500 rpm. Following a discussion with Subaru the ECU was reset. On the subsequent test drive the mechanic reported improved response.

So after frightening the living daylights out of me with suspect ringland failure I now have the car back relatively unscathed, if I ignore the scratched duracon gear knob and center console :mad: it took me an hour to polish out the knob scratches... you can just imagine the comments from my other half :blush: never realised how hard it was :evil:

Anyway I'm told I have got an un identified fault, the ECU memory has been cleared an I've been asked to go back as soon as I experience any hesitance so they can check the logs. I have also been told to keep a close eye on the oil level, but I check that every week without fail so that's not a problem.

At least its logged in on your cars history so shouldn't be an issue if the fault develops at a later date. Hope alls well from here on in :b