mystery machine

I really like having a Subaru Impreza

Seems there's been a bit of a damper on Scooby ownership lately and after another long harsh winter that's offered few opportunities to enjoy a car, one that's left the roads in an even more potholed state, now we're faced with soaring fuel costs and the ever-rising rip-off that they call 'car tax' who can blame a few folk for calling it a day and selling up? :mellow:

Even considered moving on myself always fancied an Elise, maybe now would be a good time to find one and save a bit on fuel and tax? :blink:

Anyway, I decided that it would be daft to sell a car that I really like, especially after spending a fair few quid modifying it over the past few months!

Well, I'm happy to say that my decision to stick with the Scoob was totally vindicated today after a great run around some of my favourite twisties down the borders the roads down there are in mostly very good condition and the car felt absolutely ace the suspension mods are really paying off! :)

That was all really... anyone else got something good to say about life as an Impreza driver?

:thumbup:

Proud owner of a:

Impreza Hawkeye STI with

KW Variant 3 Coilovers

Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit

Whiteline 22mm rear ARB

Whiteline ARB bushes front and rear

Edited by Mystery Machine

Hi Fella,

Here's another point of view, I've had 3 Scoobs, 2 classics and 1 blobeye, sold my blobeye around 18 months ago and have missed it every single day since. I know they cost a bit to run, you always want to mod them a wee bit more and all the other costs involved never decline. But after all that I have just put a deposit on No4, a 2006 Hawkeye STi with 340/340. I need to wait another week or so until my reg goes on retention before I can pick it up - but i can't wait until i can grin every time i start that motor.

No other car in my mind has such a smile factor - just by turning a key!!!!!

You only live once.

Gary

aye, there no bad like.

Did say i wasnt going to do any trackdays in "good" car but given state of roads im reconsidering that. Whats the point splashing out keeping it tip top if you dont get to use it as youd like too.

I enjoy my scooby very much. My bugeye just turned 50k last week hasnt gave me much grief after 3 and half years of ownership.Ye its a pisser about fuel costs etc, but hey had some good fun in the snow and when everyone else was stuck i was already at work. :thumbup::thumbup:

Much the same with me, state of our roads mixed with Fuel prices,road tax etc etc has made me think for the first time about selling up for good, the hawkeye i have will be my last scoob as i dont fancy the hatches and as all good things come to an end !!!!

I am fortunate enough to be able to afford my car as a weekend toy and maintain/run/modify and until i can no longer do that i will continue to clean it,polish it,spend money on but more importantly be able to drive it as it should be driven at times, cruise when cruising suits but boot the nuts off it on the B roads when the opporchancity ;-) offers the clear road ahead.

I have signed up for the ring with 14 of my fellow enthusiasts which i am looking forward to but loads of runs,holidays and enjoyment of the car before then.

I am on my 3rd scoob from a Y plate WRX wagon to the 04 STI blob ( the best by far in my opinion) to my 07 STI hawkeye,with 400bhp to play with.

Davie

Can’t agree more. Have had a crap week with my hawkeye in and out Subaru garages with various mis diagnosed faults and eventually a hefty repair bill, but all was forgotten on a short run to get the papers this morning in Berwick. The wife can understand how it can take an hour and a half to drive 10 miles and back. Now toying with the idea of heading down to revolution next Saturday with the kids to max out the credit card while she is out shopping with her pals. My fourth scooby now, the bill keep coming, petrol gets dearer but the smiles just get bigger.

I'm still on my first Impreza and have had it for the past 5 years, I have been looking to upgrade to a 911 3.2 or 964 C2 model Porsche, but I would have to fork out the best part of 18 to 20grand for the privelage of a car with the same or less horsepower and less handling than mine. I went for a spin in my Classic today and wondered why i was being sooo stupid, my cars had all of the exhaust & suspension uprated, better wheels, uprated brakes and lines, new ecu and switchable maps and gets me to and from work every day without fail, even after covering 220,000 miles now...I'd buy a beer for the guy who designed these cars if I ever met him :)

First one I drove was about 13 years ago when I was 19 - my boss sent me round to the bank for him cos he was too busy.

I was a gold coloured one back in about 1999 - think it was new at the time.

From the second I drove that car I wanted an Impreza.

Wanting an Impreza was what made me get a job offshore - only way I could see to afford one.

Then after 5 years on working and saving I got my STi hatch.

It took a while but boy was it worth the wait!

The fuel costs a bomb and I scare the shit oot myself by driving too fast - but no other car I'd want just now.

Now onto my fourth Impreza, 2 off them being Hatches & always will have one now :icon_pray:

It's not a daily runner more of a weekend toy so all good.

Tax when you break it down doesnt cost all that much more especially if you budget for it over the year!

Yep I still get a kick every time I jump into the old RA, unfortunately in the present climate they're doing their best to get us off the roads, I must admit though the two main reasons I got rid of the GB was the state of the roads in Stirlingshire & the running costs for only doing 4,000 miles a year. The roads were killing the car & it took a lot of the pleasure out of driving it.

3 scoobs for me too and no intention of ever selling my 05 sti, best newage uk model ever for me, all the dccd and jap suspension bits but still with the 2.0 engine

however the running costs and nazi state troopers does mean im selective with when,where and how i use it now and has meant the purchase of a 2nd car for long trips/daily use but all it takes is one good hit of boost to remind me why itl always be in the garage waiting - in fact after another owner let me (ab)use his type r at the weekend i may have to get it a stablemate..... :D

think on last years highland fling when brianm said to me that he'd been planning selling up but after a day on wild roads in wild weather he couldnt think of another car he'd have wanted to be in more kinda sums it up :icon_salut:

Now onto my fourth Impreza, 2 off them being Hatches & always will have one now :icon_pray:

It's not a daily runner more of a weekend toy so all good.

Tax when you break it down doesnt cost all that much more especially if you budget for it over the year!

i'm on my 2nd scoob after a 7year gap.

TAX!!

My other car is only £30 a year...... but the insurance has come through on the Smart and it's half the price of the 330s!! :eek and 1/25th its value!!!

I'm on my second....fairly new to the marque as I only got my Blob in November 2009. Black ice saw to the poor thing so my current Hawkeye arrived in February 2010.

Love it to bits but struggling with fuel costs makes me drive like a granny usually.

The need to spend money and modify is hard to resist though.....

Edited by MarkJHarris

There are many tales of woe on the forum ATM, people having to sell up etc because of the running costs. Thought i was going to be one of them TBH.

I don't think things will get much easier in the future either. Problems in the middle east are only going to push petrol prices up even further.

But, having said all of the above i will NEVER sell up. Why should I? I work hard for what i have as does everyone else on here. I always get a buzz when i give it the beans, and indeed when i hear another scoob out there. Most of the time, i get a wave from other scoob drivers too. Makes you feel part of a larger family.

Sod the running costs, you only live once.

:iagree:

Well said! We do work hard to be able to afford things in life that we want. I work hard n do loads of overtime to be able to. Dont even get to drive the scoob much as i've a company car which is a blessing really otherwise id prob not be able to afford a scoob. But I do relish that weekend day or summer night that I can start the scoob up and take it for a wee rip! It puts a BIG smile on my face every time!!! :lol:

So why should we give in to the government. I certainly won't

As above, You only live once!

Good to read all the responses, and encouraging to know that Scooby enthusiasm is alive and (defiantly) kicking! :icon_salut:

You only live once.

Totally! :thumbup:

04 STI blob ( the best by far in my opinion) to my 07 STI hawkeye,with 400bhp to play with.

How come you preferred the Blob to the Hawk, Davie?

The wife can understand how it can take an hour and a half to drive 10 miles and back.

:D That was pretty much how Sunday panned out for me – nipped out for milk and returned three hours later... You should have seen the wife's face when I told her "but the milk from Selkirk tastes much better than the milk here in Falkirk" :blush:

gets me to and from work every day without fail, even after covering 220,000 miles now...

That's impressive – how many miles had it clocked when you bought it? :icon_salut:

I scare the shit oot myself by driving too fast

:o:)

Obviously I wouldn't have bought mine if I didn't think I could afford the tax, but £36 per month is a sizable chunk of my monthly disposable income, and I grudge it severely. It's unfair and it's a rip-off :cussing:

I got rid of the GB was the state of the roads in Stirlingshire ... The roads were killing the car & it took a lot of the pleasure out of driving it.

The roads in Stirlingshire are shocking, Bobby – particularly out your way, but how's that any different with your new Focus? :mellow:

my 05 sti, best newage uk model ever for me, all the dccd and jap suspension bits but still with the 2.0 engine

How come you prefer the 2.0, Dave?

I don't think things will get much easier in the future either. Problems in the middle east are only going to push petrol prices up even further.

But, having said all of the above i will NEVER sell up. Why should I? I work hard for what i have as does everyone else on here. I always get a buzz when i give it the beans, and indeed when i hear another scoob out there. Most of the time, i get a wave from other scoob drivers too. Makes you feel part of a larger family.

Sod the running costs, you only live once.

I agree – the situation in the Middle East doesn't bode well for petrolheads...

I'm like you, I grudge the idea of having to sell the car, but everyone has their limits (£££). There might come a point where I just don't have a choice :(

So why should we give in to the government. I certainly won't

I agree – that's one of the reasons I drive a Scoob that's in the highest tax band. I hate that I have to pay it, but I'm fecked if I'm having the b*****d government dictate my choice of car just so that they can appease a bunch of 'greenists' who're too stupid to question the dubious environmental impact of that disgusting tax! :cussing:

:thumbup:

If you are loking for a change maybe this would be nice :thumbup:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/230591458306

Absolutely hideous in my opinion!!!!

Quite possibly the most horrible car/van/thing Ive ever since in my life!! :barf:

But utmost respect to the madman who has the nads to drive that about. :icon_joker:

Oh, and I absolutely love my scoob. Its great, everytime I get in it, turn the key, hear the engine, drive off, burble burble. When all nicely heated up, open her up, leave the rest behind. Woo-hoo. Bring it on!! :headbang::driving::headbang::thumbup:

Quite possibly the most horrible car/van/thing Ive ever since in my life!! :barf:

But utmost respect to the madman who has the nads to drive that about. :icon_joker:

Oh, and I absolutely love my scoob. Its great, everytime I get in it, turn the key, hear the engine, drive off, burble burble. When all nicely heated up, open her up, leave the rest behind. Woo-hoo. Bring it on!! :headbang::driving::headbang::thumbup:

I was particularly stunned he claims to have spent £50k on it.

Really £50k :censored:

Someone should surely have stoped him!!

£50,000 making a car look that bad, unbelievable... Could have bought a new wrx sti. Had the bad looks but at least some power.......

as above really, I use my Impreza everyday to drive to work and recently all I have done is drive up and down the motorway to work at 65-70mph and you do start to think why am I running such an expensive car for the daily commute but last weekend I went for a blast in the peaks with some friends and a morning drive turned into a whole day and when I got home I was still smiling...that’s why I’ve got my Impreza. When the road are right it’s such a laugh and so involving to drive. And it makes me feel great, gets the adrenaline pumping and the car still gets a lot of attention and questions.

Other than going to the dark side and getting an EVO there isn't really anything else in my price range that I would like at this moment in time.

I would love an RS6 Audi or a 997 Turbo...4WD, more power and more luxury but i can't see me ever being in a position to afford either so the scooby it is : thumbup:

If you are loking for a change maybe this would be nice :thumbup:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/230591458306

Absolutely hideous in my opinion!!!!

The first car/van/thing I have seen which makes the Impreza S201 look inconspicuous.

Im also on my 3rd with no intentions of getting rid. It's a bit like trigger's broom...