Sign in to follow this  
neil999

Which Turbo

hi my mate has classic turbo on v plate but turbo has just gone and he wants to know what turbo he can fit on it to up the bhp seeing as he needs to replace it may as well put bigger one in?

It depends on what sort of power he is looking at? He can put a td05 from a earlier classic which is good for 300 - 340 bhp,but it will require some work to remove the 90 degree compressor entry. You can pick these up off ebay,pistonheads,etc for £150 -£200,failing that can buy an andy forrest td05 which will bolt straight on.He will notice that these turbos wont spool up as fast as his td04,but they wont run out of puff after 5k like his old one use to.

Then there are the ihi turbos;these are ballbearing turbos that will bolt straight on ie: vf22,vf 23 ,vf 24,vf 28,vf 29, vf30,vf34,vf35,etc,these all have different characteristics ,depending on what sort of power your aiming for.The 3 most popular ones are the vf35,vf 23 ,& the vf28.All of these will get you to around 330 bhp ,with the vf35 able to reach 350 bhp. If you do a search on turbos in the control panel it will show you the pro's and cons of most turbos. If he decides to go down the vf turbo route ,make sure he changes the banjo bolt from the oil inlet pipe from the td04 ,to a smaller one for the vf series turbos.

If he decides he likes the quick spool up of his td04,then i will be selling a td04 which i bought brand new in august and is currently on my car and has covered 600 miles since it was fitted,due to my car being off the road(sorn)since may2009.

Edited by slider

It depends on what sort of power he is looking at? He can put a td05 from a earlier classic which is good for 300 - 340 bhp,but it will require some work to remove the 90 degree compressor entry. You can pick these up off ebay,pistonheads,etc for £150 -£200,failing that can buy an andy forrest td05 which will bolt straight on.He will notice that these turbos wont spool up as fast as his td04,but they wont run out of puff after 5k like his old one use to.

Then there are the ihi turbos;these are ballbearing turbos that will bolt straight on ie: vf22,vf 23 ,vf 24,vf 28,vf 29, vf30,vf34,vf35,etc,these all have different characteristics ,depending on what sort of power your aiming for.The 3 most popular ones are the vf35,vf 23 ,& the vf28.All of these will get you to around 330 bhp ,with the vf35 able to reach 350 bhp. If you do a search on turbos in the control panel it will show you the pro's and cons of most turbos. If he decides to go down the vf turbo route ,make sure he changes the banjo bolt from the oil inlet pipe from the td04 ,to a smaller one for the vf series turbos.

Thanks for that what a great answer the vf35 sounds about right and shall i recommend to him that he fits some 550c injectors? and anything over 300bhp should put smile on his face

Edited by neil999

He should not need 550 injectors unless he is going over 350 bhp,if he decides to buy a td04 , then possibly to get the best out of it he may want to consider a remap. This can see power rise up to about 280 bhp tops, and have virtually no lag and boost coming in from 2400 rpm. Also some good deals are available on mapping right now from some very reputable mappers. :lol:

hi my mate has classic turbo on v plate but turbo has just gone and he wants to know what turbo he can fit on it to up the bhp seeing as he needs to replace it may as well put bigger one in?

Hi mate i have a mint TD04 turbo no smoke or play at all and a RB5 WR Sport prodrive ecu that would fit straight in if the cars a UK spec car.No need for a remap then.

Ran 282bhp with exhaust and panel filter

Can have the Turbo and Ecu for £360 if anyone is interested.

Hi mate i have a mint TD04 turbo no smoke or play at all and a RB5 WR Sport prodrive ecu that would fit straight in if the cars a UK spec car.No need for a remap then.

Ran 282bhp with exhaust and panel filter

Can have the Turbo and Ecu for £360 if anyone is interested.

hi thanks i will run it by him and let you know asap

thanks for your help guys now my mate just needs to decide what he is going to do with the car, will keep you posted and might need to pick your brains at later stage.