Wish Me Luck!

If anybody has looked out into the Firth of Forth recently they'll have seen a big blue rig off the coast near Burnt Island, I've been on it since monday and next week its off on a voyage!

Theres a huge unusual looking ship just out to sea just now thats going to sink itself then hopefully put us on the back of it, re-float itself and take us to Mexico!

It should take about 3 weeks, going down through the english channel then down by France\Spain then to Las palmas and across the Atlantic through the Caribean then into the Gulf.

I'm hoping that the sea wont be rough as I have no idea what my sea legs are like!

Col.

Aye , no bad want to swap mine?

Croft on Sunday for the jack Frost Rally

Aberdeen on Monday to survey a BP site for demolishing.

Kirburton ( Leeds) on Tuesday to survey another petrol station for demolition to turn it in to a Tesco.

London on Wednesday for a meeting with Shell.

Glasgow on Thursday for a BP meeting.

i reckon 1500miles.

D

Tell ya what it ain't calm at sea iv been stuck in the bloody Shetlands trying to get offshore to the Shetland basin since yesterday.

12m waves offshore.

Todays flying got cancelled as well and the forecast is crap till monday.

What ashame on the piss on full pay the joys of offshore life eh

Sure u will be fine though Col ;)

Tell ya what it ain't calm at sea iv been stuck in the bloody Shetlands trying to get offshore to the Shetland basin since yesterday.

12m waves offshore.

Todays flying got cancelled as well and the forecast is crap till monday.

What ashame on the piss on full pay the joys of offshore life eh

Sure u will be fine though Col :laughing4:

Yep, I'll raise my glass to that bud ;)

Sat in Esbjerg waiting for the rig to call, prob next tuesday,

just a shame that they have a lack of bed space the now eh :thumbup:

Have seen this been done twice at Nigg. The 1st time i saw it i was working at a house at Cromarty, when we arrived in the morn we saw the big ship moored in the firth at the end of the street then we went out to the van at 10 for a break & were like WTF the ship's sinking !!! At lunch time all you could see was the front & rear of the ship sticking out of the water. Didn't know what was going on & thought it strange nobody seemed alarmed that a ship had sunk in the firth lol. Watching them positioning the rig over the ship then refloating itself was very intresting & pretty amazing. They were a couple of days securing the rig to the boat before it set sail. 2nd time i saw it i knew what was happening but still amazing to watch.

Channel flicking on sky last week i started watching "How its done" & one of the things they were showing was this & it was the 1st rig i saw this being done to that had been filmed for the program (could tell by the positioning of the ship)

If you get a chance to see it its quite an amazing thing to see being done but its a very slow procedure so would be better if you were to have a look every hour rather than sit & watch it all.

http://home.versatel.nl/the_sims/rig/losses.htm

http://home.versatel.nl/the_sims/rig/ms2.htm

it went down due to inaccurate seafloor mapping ( which my old job entailed)

I use a lot of the above in presentations at work

CGS

Ah - it wasn't the MS2 I was thinking of, it was MS3 - it sunk itself (for lack of the proper term) and then couldn't come back up.

From what I remember (i.e. read somewhere on the net) it was raised and was brought back into service again after a refit.

Well we finally got moving today at 3.30pm after a few delays.

This is how we looked all loaded up!-

safe-bristolia.jpg

Was a nice evening to be motoring out the Forth into the North Sea, next stop the Canaries then across the pond.

The sea is really calm and we're bouncing about a bit so god knows what its going to be like in the middle of the atlantic!!

We are allowed 2 bottles of beer a night so its not all bad :(

Enjoy the big meet, wish I could have been there.

Col.