scoobysti

Softer ride on my STI?

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've got a 2016 WRX STI and I'm looking at some how making the ride more comfortable. I've looked into coilovers but in general, they seem to firm up the ride. Does any one know of a suspension setup I can buy that will make the car ride like a typical family salon. Or a company that can adjust the stock dampers/springs in anyway?

thanks in advance

you want it softer????????????????????????????????????????????

have you bought the right car? ;)

Lol yeah I've brought the right car lol but thought there might be some options out there to improve the ride?

I am sure STI must make cushions :rotfl:

Lol to be honest, it's more my wife not liking the ride, if I can find a solution to the problem I'm sure I'll be able to keep the car forever... ...if not I'll just have to get rid of the wife 🤔😏😄

Coil overs are the answer. Damping and spring rate are what you spec. First you need to know more about what is fitted as O.E.

On my 2006 STi, the stock springs were 4kg and 3 3/.4 rear. I have 6kg/5kg now fitted. I specced long travel plush high speed damping for my BC ER series coil over package.I use normal springs and helpers, switching to longer 4kg and 3/3/4kg springs for Winter if I'm using it a lot. (not bothered this winter). I can go from bouncy and undamped to rock hard with a few clicks so it's tunable as I so desire.

Your new version is different at the back but I think, coils are available with seperate Bump/Rebound adjusters.

Otherwise- You got the wrong car/Wife?

Get her something she likes and keep the Scooby for yourself.

Oh dear!  Your wife wants it softer and doesnt like the ride?!  I love the ride in my wrx just fine :D  This is proving to be an amusing story, (sorry)!  And the cushions comment made me double up !!  I hope you get your ride sorted out real soon, scoobysti :) :thumbs: as an aside, my husband sometimes complains about the ride ..... he drives a hybrid!

I nearly experienced a hybrid ride in Bangkok :blink:, lets just say she had a gear lever where I wasn't expecting one :rotfl: 

p.s I think we may have gone of topic :D

Haha good one, scoobiefloz - I hadnt thought on that :D Yeah ... just a little!  I asked my partner and he said you cant beat a good hard ride, for handling, technically speaking, of course :D 

Let us know how it all works out scoobysti :) 

Probably your best solution...............

MY16 Bilsteins.JPG

NO! I do wish folk would stop lowering their Imprezas. It may "look" nice but it plays havoc with the handling. The standard car is bad enough... 

It's all about the roll centres..

Good point, well said, Mark!!  Im all for the look of a lowered ride but .... keep it the way it is! 

Totally agree, I am from the generation that watched the early legacys and Imprezas rallying, so a decent bit of tread on the tyres and a bit of clearance between the wheels and arches looks just right!

Edited by ccrien

On 12/12/2016 at 18:16, markjharris said:

NO! I do wish folk would stop lowering their Imprezas. It may "look" nice but it plays havoc with the handling. The standard car is bad enough... 

It's all about the roll centres..

15 hours ago, ccrien said:

Totally agree, I am from the generation that watched the early legacys and Imprezas rallying, so a decent bit of tread on the tyres and a bit of clearance between the wheels and arches looks just right!

Yes, but this thread is about someone (the OP), who's after ways to soften their suspension because the ride is too hard, not specifically about lowering the vehicle and coilovers are one option to make the damping and spring rates different/variable.

Fit coil over suspension it will improve ride quality and handling. 

You will need a good quality set 27way adjustable set normally with a taper rear spring that uses the original rear top mount. 

It it did on my 2011 saloon 

tony

Coilovers give you adjustment. It's up to the buyer to specify what they want. Beware the sets that lower your car, that's my main point. lower cars with lower roll centres need stiffer springs and thus firmer damping. 

A set that allows standard ride height, means you can use softer springs and tune the damping to your preference. 

I can only recommend BC Racing's ER series from my own experience. I ordered them long travel and plush high speed damping. 

That's just how they came. Mid point in the adjustment of the lower mounts was exactly the same physical length of the O.E. struts.  That gave me 40mm of possible adjustment either way. I never run them longer as the headlight level sensors and ABS sensor cables might be damaged if I do. Spring length and helper springs are then tuned for actual rider height. I now run with 6kg front and 5kg rear. Damping is about half way 15 turns out all; round as a start. At 20 turns out the car tends to wallow a bit, below 10 it bangs and crashes on poorer roads.

I have much longer 4kg and 3 1/2kg springs for Winter if I plan to use it more. Not bothered this Winter.

Thanks everyone for you comments and suggestions Lol to be honest, it's more my wife not liking the ride, if I can find a solution to the problem I'm sure I'll be able to keep the car forever... ...if not I'll just have to get rid of the wife 🤔😏😄

I've been in contact with a lot of coilover manufactures and they have informed me to stay with the stock setup, because 99% of all coilovers normally give a firmer ride over stock... ...in general. I've also been in touch with subispeed in the U.S, who work on the latest WRX and STI and they think the WRX suspension will fit directly onto the STI. This could be an option, as the WRX is apparently a much more comfortable daily driver. I've also spoken to Subaru uk who maybe able to order it in and fit it and keep the warranty in tact. 😊

In my experience, if you want a better ride fit kyb ultra Sr adjustable damping struts. 

Failing that you may want to get some decent expensive coilovers 

You only loose warranty on the suspension if you fit coulovers. 

If they aren't on the vehicle not going to wear out. Replace when you Sekt it. 

Bet dealer WRX suspension it as dear as coilivers. 

IMHO

Tony

Coilovers are far cheaper than struts and springs...........

10 hours ago, TheDong said:

In my experience, if you want a better ride fit kyb ultra Sr adjustable damping struts. 

Where would you get those for the OP's  2016 WRX STi  ??

11 hours ago, scoobysti said:

This could be an option, as the WRX is apparently a much more comfortable daily driver. I've also spoken to Subaru uk who maybe able to order it in and fit it and keep the warranty in tact. 😊

Some spring and Damper Part numbers for reference

STi

STi.JPG

WRX - 6MT

WRX-6MT.JPG

WRX - CVT

WRX-CVT.JPG

4 hours ago, The Don said:

Some spring and Damper Part numbers for reference

STi

STi.JPG

WRX - 6MT

WRX-6MT.JPG

WRX - CVT

WRX-CVT.JPG

The sti and wrx have a different hub on the front so they won't even fit on. 

The rears will match up but fronts won't 

4 hours ago, TheDong said:

Same as a 12 on saloon actualy

What are you referring to?

KYB's  - none listed later than GD/GG

KYB2016_Shock_Absorbers-Version_A.pdf